Return to CryptoMoms.com
Welcome, Guest!!

Looking for our CRISP for Kids program? Click here!

Author Topic: Book - The Four Pillars of Business Success  (Read 3145 times)

TeeGee

• View Profile
Re: Book - The Four Pillars of Business Success
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
That's a really helpful review. It's great to see many months of Alan's hard work being rewarded with a great review.

Now to continue to snowball and grow in exposure.

Chase

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 12:28:15 AM »

https://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/improve-your-odds/

Excellent book review!

"Yong’s writing is a pleasure to read, because of both the conversational tone and the author’s ability to convey a great deal of sound advice in a concise format. The Four Pillars of Business Success is an excellent book that should accomplish exactly the improved odds the cover promises for almost anyone who is starting a business."

I agree.  :)

Shepherd

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 03:19:02 AM »

https://www.forewordreviews.com/reviews/improve-your-odds/

Excellent book review!

"Yong’s writing is a pleasure to read, because of both the conversational tone and the author’s ability to convey a great deal of sound advice in a concise format. The Four Pillars of Business Success is an excellent book that should accomplish exactly the improved odds the cover promises for almost anyone who is starting a business."

I agree.  :)

Indeed, this is a very good and accurate book review. I firmly believe that any entrepreneur, including seasoned entrepreneurs, will find this book to be inspirational and helpful in many ways.

Chase

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 08:55:36 PM »

I found this book review at Small Business Trends - it was listed under the Editor's Picks last night. It is a pretty good review except for this: "Improve Your Odds is a sugar-coated “anyone can build a business in seven days or less” kind of book." The sentence doesn't even fit in with the rest of the review?? There are a couple of errors such as Alan has 20 years business experience, but otherwise has a lot of good things to say.

I have never paid attention to book reviewers before this, but I have noticed a lot of them get hung up on the structural aspects and miss the the big picture. They tend to forget who the audience is and expect a book to be written for the knowledge level of a university professor.

My question is - are all book reviews like this? Your book is great, but...

2nd question - do we share these?

Want a Thriving Business? Improve Your Odds With These Four Pillars

"Improve Your Odds: The Four Pillars of Business Success" is exactly what the title suggests. It's about improving the odds for success when you decide to take that first step into entrepreneurship. It's all improving the odds when you need to refine that business strategy just a little bit. Written by a businessman with over 20 years of experience in business, it provides the frank advice and balance you need to get ahead.

Improve Your Odds: The Four Pillars of Business Success is about business. Dismal statistics often point to the failure rate of startups and new business in trying to survive, let alone thrive. As a result, we typically have two responses to business, extreme fear or extreme overconfidence.
Both responses kill business dreams.
People who are afraid to “go all out” in business because of fear fail to reach their potential. People who “go all out” in business without the right foundation risk losing everything they are fighting for.
Improve Your Odds is about balancing the path to business success.

What is Improve Your Odds About?
Improve Your Odds is a sugar-coated “anyone can build a business in seven days or less” kind of book. It presents statistics that can be downright disheartening if you aren’t serious about the work of a business. The author does this because he wants readers to truly grasp what business is … and is not.
Entrepreneurship is not simply launching a blog or website and selling things or services. It’s more than that. At the same time, it’s not rocket science. It’s “people plus ideas” science. It’s figuring out the right combination of four pillars (you, your idea, your employees, and your team) to reach the goals you’ve set for yourself. This is what author Alan Young is getting after.

Balance also comes into play after you’ve launched your business. Many entrepreneurs get caught up in the novelty of their idea. They assume consciously (or subconsciously) that their idea will change their world, bringing in lots of money in the process. This view is unbalanced and ignores the reality of business as the book brilliantly points out. Most businesses that are launching will not be “game-changers”, but they don’t have to be in order to thrive. They have to be excellent at feeding into the four pillars that started the whole process (owner, customers, etc.) By paying attention to their foundation, business owners can once again achieve the necessary balance of ingredients to thrive in the market they have chosen to pursue.

Yong is a founder of DNotes, a digital currency management agency and co-editor of DCE Brief, a business news website. He has a twenty-plus year history in computing and business technology. He is also the creator of the world’s first personal tablet computer.

What Was Best About Improve Your Odds?
The best part of Improve Your Odds is the straightforwardness that comes across from the very first page. From the beginning, readers should be able to pick up on the author’s focus on using his past business experience to give concise and direct advice on how to achieve an early balance in your business launch and continuing that balance throughout.

What Could Have Been Done Differently
While Improve Your Odds provides a lot of straightforward advice, it focuses mainly on principles and not particular situations that a reader might encounter. For example, the book will tell you that you need to be as good as or better than your competitors. The book won’t delve into how to benchmark (or even how to find) that competition, but it will provide some basic principles and strategies for being competitive.

Why Read Improve Your Odds?
Improve Your Odds is the kind of book you want to read when you are in the planning phase of your book or want to rethink the assumptions behind your current business strategy. The book dispenses with all of the fancy, overly positive business talk (“You can build a startup in two days because you’re awesome”) and provides the straightforward advice from an entrepreneur who has been through it. It isn’t pessimistic, but it is realistic about the nature of business, which should be welcome reading for anyone who wants to take that first step into business. The book won’t cover set up details at any great length (like how to incorporate), but it will identify key principles and assumptions to have before you take that all-important step to launch a business.

http://smallbiztrends.com/2016/09/improve-your-odds-book-review.html

Shepherd

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2016, 01:51:20 AM »

I found this book review at Small Business Trends - it was listed under the Editor's Picks last night. It is a pretty good review except for this: "Improve Your Odds is a sugar-coated “anyone can build a business in seven days or less” kind of book." The sentence doesn't even fit in with the rest of the review?? There are a couple of errors such as Alan has 20 years business experience, but otherwise has a lot of good things to say.

I have never paid attention to book reviewers before this, but I have noticed a lot of them get hung up on the structural aspects and miss the the big picture. They tend to forget who the audience is and expect a book to be written for the knowledge level of a university professor.

My question is - are all book reviews like this? Your book is great, but...

2nd question - do we share these?

"Improve Your Odds: The Four Pillars of Business Success" is exactly what the title suggests. It's about improving the odds for success when you decide to take that first step into entrepreneurship. It's all improving the odds when you need to refine that business strategy just a little bit. Written by a businessman with over 20 years of experience in business, it provides the frank advice and balance you need to get ahead.

Improve Your Odds: The Four Pillars of Business Success is about business. Dismal statistics often point to the failure rate of startups and new business in trying to survive, let alone thrive. As a result, we typically have two responses to business, extreme fear or extreme overconfidence.
Both responses kill business dreams.
People who are afraid to “go all out” in business because of fear fail to reach their potential. People who “go all out” in business without the right foundation risk losing everything they are fighting for.
Improve Your Odds is about balancing the path to business success.

What is Improve Your Odds About?
Improve Your Odds is a sugar-coated “anyone can build a business in seven days or less” kind of book. It presents statistics that can be downright disheartening if you aren’t serious about the work of a business. The author does this because he wants readers to truly grasp what business is … and is not.
Entrepreneurship is not simply launching a blog or website and selling things or services. It’s more than that. At the same time, it’s not rocket science. It’s “people plus ideas” science. It’s figuring out the right combination of four pillars (you, your idea, your employees, and your team) to reach the goals you’ve set for yourself. This is what author Alan Young is getting after.

Balance also comes into play after you’ve launched your business. Many entrepreneurs get caught up in the novelty of their idea. They assume consciously (or subconsciously) that their idea will change their world, bringing in lots of money in the process. This view is unbalanced and ignores the reality of business as the book brilliantly points out. Most businesses that are launching will not be “game-changers”, but they don’t have to be in order to thrive. They have to be excellent at feeding into the four pillars that started the whole process (owner, customers, etc.) By paying attention to their foundation, business owners can once again achieve the necessary balance of ingredients to thrive in the market they have chosen to pursue.

Yong is a founder of DNotes, a digital currency management agency and co-editor of DCE Brief, a business news website. He has a twenty-plus year history in computing and business technology. He is also the creator of the world’s first personal tablet computer.

What Was Best About Improve Your Odds?
The best part of Improve Your Odds is the straightforwardness that comes across from the very first page. From the beginning, readers should be able to pick up on the author’s focus on using his past business experience to give concise and direct advice on how to achieve an early balance in your business launch and continuing that balance throughout.

What Could Have Been Done Differently
While Improve Your Odds provides a lot of straightforward advice, it focuses mainly on principles and not particular situations that a reader might encounter. For example, the book will tell you that you need to be as good as or better than your competitors. The book won’t delve into how to benchmark (or even how to find) that competition, but it will provide some basic principles and strategies for being competitive.

Why Read Improve Your Odds?
Improve Your Odds is the kind of book you want to read when you are in the planning phase of your book or want to rethink the assumptions behind your current business strategy. The book dispenses with all of the fancy, overly positive business talk (“You can build a startup in two days because you’re awesome”) and provides the straightforward advice from an entrepreneur who has been through it. It isn’t pessimistic, but it is realistic about the nature of business, which should be welcome reading for anyone who wants to take that first step into business. The book won’t cover set up details at any great length (like how to incorporate), but it will identify key principles and assumptions to have before you take that all-important step to launch a business.

http://smallbiztrends.com/2016/09/improve-your-odds-book-review.html

Thank you for the post. Good enough. Share it. The reality is, after reading many reviews of my book,  I am beginning to recognize that not every book reviewers totally understands the true substance of the book, but does feel that it is one of the better business books available. As a start, that is good enough for me. Any exposure is helpful. I have been getting amazingly positive feedback from those who actually read the book.

After being on the road for forty hours I finally have internet connection. I will not be available most of the time but will check back when I can. Thanks to everyone for supporting this forum in my absence.

Chase

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »

What a nice way to be greeted by Twitter this morning. Nele, you are the greatest!

On Twitter:

Nele‏ @neleonele  1h1 hour ago

I am sure we are going fine,when kids started drawing logos of BTC companies!@YourBTCC @DNotes_AlanYong @TFPOBS @CryptoAssetBook

* Share Topic

Share via twitter